Module Leader: Dr. Ruth Fairchild
Assessment Type: Assessment type: Patchwork assessment 5000 words
Consolidate the fundamental concepts of macronutrients, micronutrients and energy. Develop an understanding of healthy eating guidelines and EU RDA’s including their benefits and short comings. Evaluate the role of nutrients in common food related disorders e.g. coeliac disease, hyperlipidaemia. Consider the effects of processing on nutrient value. Provide an appreciation of how nutrition research affects the food industry in terms of New Product Development and reformulation.
On completion of the module the student will be able to:
1. Consolidate the fundamental concepts of macro and micronutrients and energy.
2. Evaluate the need for and process of setting dietary recommendations (EU RDAs).
3. Develop an understanding of healthy eating guidelines including their benefits and shortcomings.
4. Consider the effects of processing and storage on nutrient value.
5. Consider the key nutritional drivers in your market sector(s).
6. Review and interpret commonly used nutritional labels for food products relevant for your market sector.
7. Critically appraise the role of consumers, retailers, manufacturers and the Government in creating and maintaining a healthy diet.