New Product Development
Module Leader: Dr. Vitti Allender/Mr. Simon Dawson
Assessment Type: Written Project, 3000 words plus a verbal Presentation lasting 20 mins
The aim of this module is to provide the student with advanced knowledge and understanding of the New Product Development Gate Process which is used and adapted by the majority of food manufacturers supplying retailers. This module will provide an advanced understanding of all processes involved from the initial ‘kitchen concept’ development to factory launch into the retailer. This will include; sensory panels, safety validation (HACCP), raw material risk assessment and procurement, specifications, packaging and labelling, product costings, nutrition, shelf life and relevant legislation.
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the marketing platform, competitor environment and consumer drivers for the product
2. A thorough understanding of the New Product Development Gate Process. Considering all aspects involved from initial concept development and innovation to factory launch.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the issues related to scaled up production for the product. Practical experience of taking kitchen development to trials and then to final factory launch, reviewing and modifying where necessary.
4. Appraise the packaging needs of the product to ensure ‘function and fit’
5. Review costings considering overheads and any cost engineering required for further development.
6. Plan and execute appropriate sensory tests for the product.
7. Review of sensory analysis data and draw conclusions to determine whether the new product concept will be accepted by the customer.
8. Understand the technical sign off required throughout the NPD process and before launch of products including; raw material procurement and control, safety validation (HACCP), shelf life, nutrition, specifications and product labelling ensuring current legislation is adhered to.