Hygienic Design in Food Manufacture
Module Leader: Mr Simon Dawson
Assessment Type: Patchwork assessment 5000 words
The module aims to develop awareness and understanding of key considerations in the location, design and equipping of food manufacture and distribution facilities, particularly with a view to meeting the stringent demands of legislation, good practice and efficiency of operational matters.
On completion of the module the student will be able to:
1. Assess the suitability of a location for any given type of food premises.
2. Critically evaluate structural design in food manufacturing.
3. Produce design and layout plans and specifications for production, product flow, safety and hygiene.
4. Develop an understanding of the properties of materials used in food premises and equipment
5. Appraise and select mechanical and engineering services in food manufacture.
6. Determine appropriate designs for product and people flows, having regard to hygiene and safety in food manufacture and distribution.
7. Apply the principles of good hygienic design in their workplace setting