Module Leader: Professor Arthur Tatham
Assessment Type: Critical review of papers 2500 words or equivalent and Research protocol 2500 words or equivalent
The aim of this module is to provide the student with the essential knowledge of the process of conducting sound scientific research, project writing and develop skills in data handling and statistical analysis.
To enable the student to:
1. Critically review research and published literature.
2. Develop and evaluate suitable research methodologies.
3. Evaluate and where necessary apply appropriate methods of data analysis.
4. Understand ethical issues in conducting research.
At the end of the module the student will be able to:
1. Identify and critically evaluate research data and research sources.
2. Evaluate a range of data collection procedures.
3. Critically analyse, evaluate and utilise research findings.
4. Critically assess the role and value of a range of statistical parameters using appropriate software packages.
5. Evaluate the ethical issues arising from research.